When to Start Puppy Vaccinations
We would typically start a vaccination schedule between 6 and 8 weeks. Before this a puppy gains protection from its mothers’ milk, so if your puppy is not able to have a mothers milk please speak with your vet as early as possible to discuss the best approach.
Puppy Vaccination Schedule
A general vaccination schedule for puppies is:
- 6 weeks: 1st core vax
- 9 weeks: 2nd core vax, 1st Leptospirosis
- 12 weeks: 3rd core vax, 2nd Leptospirosis, canine cough
- 15 months (1 year after their last vaccination): booster core vax, Leptospirosis and canine cough
Dog will require annual booster vaccinations ongoing.
Are vaccines safe?
Vaccines are extremely safe with only rare negative reactions. If your dog does experience any reaction, call us to discuss. These rare cases would most likely show as:
- Loss of appetite
- Facial or paw swelling and/or hives
- Pain or swelling around the injection site
- Collapse, difficulty breathing, and seizures (anaphylactic shock)
No unlike humans, mild symptoms can be ignored as your body processes the vaccine, and for anything more severe give us a call.
Scheduling an Appointment for Dog Vaccinations
We keep the common vaccines in stock, so call us for a regular check-up be it a new puppy or dog and we will include this in our initial consultation.